Monday, August 29, 2005

Driving in Virginia

My apologies for being away for so long, I will try to be more regular with these communications.

I have lived in the DC area for 8 years now and drving in Virginia never ceases to amaze me. What an unbelievable system of signs they have there. If you do not have first hand knowledge of your route, you may as well count on getting lost because there will not be sign to help you navigate how to get around.

After finally seeing the latest Star Wars movie, Revenge of the Sith on Saturday night at the Arlington Drafthouse, I thought it would be a simple matter of reversing my directions from the theater to get home. Basically, I had taken the beltway, to the GW Parkway, to Route 50 west to the Arlington Drafthouse. So when I hop on 50 and head east toward DC and see a sign for the GW parkway, I naturally turn onto it. The only problem was it was a southbound only entrance.

WTF is wrong with that state? How hard is it to add "Southbound Only" to the huge sign that directs folks to the GW Parkway from Route 50? For all I know there is a northbound entrance later down the road, but there aren't any f-ing signs that would give you a clue about that.

Needless to say, this continues to leave me with the impression that Virginia is a state less interested in actually planning wise responses and more interested in randomly reacting to them.

No comments: