Friday, December 28, 2007

How are the Picks, Part 2

Exposing my soft underbelly for more insult:

MOTOR CITY BOWL
Dec. 26, Central Michigan (8-5) vs. Purdue (7-5)
My Pick: Chippewas 25, Boilermakers 24
Result: Boilermakers 51, Chippewas 48

This game had loads of drama and intrigue for a fairly crappy setup (i.e. rematch in lower tier bowl). Offensive football fans were given a treat (yeah I get the hidden suggestion).

HOLIDAY BOWL
Dec. 27, Arizona State (10-2) vs. Texas (9-3)
My Pick: Texas 27, ASU 23
Result: Texas 52, ASU 34

Wow, Texas ripped a new one for ASU. Unbelievable how little ASU was in the game, but my fears were clearly proven correct concerning ASU.

CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL
Dec. 28, Boston College (10-3) vs. Michigan State (7-5)
My Pick: BC 42, MSU15
Result: BC 24, MSU21

MSU had no business really being in this game yet there they were with two possessions in the last 5 minutes with a chance to tie or take the lead. I may be reading too much into the lower tier bowls, but at this point my feeling is that the PAC 10 is offering up weak showing after weak showing. The Big Ten, surprisingly has done well all things considered. Still too early to comment on ACC, Big 12, Big East and SEC yet.

TEXAS BOWL
Dec. 28, TCU (7-5) vs. Houston (8-4)
My Pick: TCU 24, Houston 20
Result: TCU 20, Houston 13

TCU gave Houston one last chance to tie the game thanks to the prevent defense, but since Houston could must no offense, it didn't matter.

EMERALD BOWL
Dec. 28, Maryland (6-6) vs. Oregon State (8-4)
My Pick: Oregon State 31, Maryland 24
Result: Oregon State 21, Maryland 14

Terps lack of offensive firepower hurt them badly. PAC 10 picks up first bowl win of the year.

MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL
Dec. 29, UConn (9-3) vs. Wake Forest (8-4)
My Pick: UConn 20, Wake 19
Result: Wake 24, UConn 10

At halftime my analysis looked pretty good. Unfortunately for UConn, the game is played in two halves. Excellent game plan and execution by Wake in the second half.

LIBERTY BOWL
Dec. 29, Mississippi State (7-5) vs. UCF (10-3)
My Pick: UCF 19, Mississippi State 13
Result: Mississippi State 10, UCF 3

My analysis concerning Smith and State was spot on. I just figured that UCF was good forabout two touchdowns in the game. State's D shows up huge and wins the game.

ALAMO BOWL
Dec. 29, Penn State (8-4) vs. Texas A&M (7-5)
My Pick: PSU 17, A&M 15
Result: PSU 24, A&M 17

Gary Darnell has coached more teams with the "Interim" tag than perhaps anyone. Unfortunately he never really wins these games so, he will continue to at best be an interim head coach. Joe Pa's squad came up huge in game number 500.

Record in this post: 5-3
Cumulative record for Bowl Season: 7-5

No comments: