Monday, October 17, 2005

Painful loss to White, 3-0

Hi folks out in the cyber-ether!

Since our last soccer update two game weeks have passed. We lost a game 3-0 in week one and were rained out the following week.

Our team had a rather painful 3-0 loss to a team wearing white jerseys yesterday. I guess all losses are painful and this one is definitely not top ten in terms of excruciation, but it did suck none-the-less. Quick recap below:

Due to difficulties with the pregnant-with-twins wife, I arrived 20 minutes late to the game so I cannot comment on what happened early in the game. Upon my arrival, I immediately substituted for keeper and let our much better field player, Greg give it a go out of the net. For me, the rest of the first half was uneventful. There was stalwart D in front of me and I think I touched the ball about 5 times.

The turning point of the game happened in the last 3 minutes of the half. Our sweeper, Brian S. pulled a muscle in his leg and limped off the field. He would not return to the game. This left an already shorthanded team even more shorthanded and without a very good player. Hopefully, he will be back soon. Halftime score, 0-0.

I played the field in the second half and Bill took his turn in goal. I must say that Bill plays keeper most excellently. He makes some incredible saves and only the unsavable shots seem to get past him. Unfortunately for Bill, he faced many opportunities where one or more strikers came through the defense unimpeded and he was left as the last line of defense. He stopped a few and 3 got past him. That is about as good as one can do.

We had a couple of opportunities to score in the second half. Trailing 2-0, Neil sent a pretty cross in front of the goal that I tapped in. The blind-as-shit ref called me offside even though I was behind the ball the whole time and then gave me a yellow card to boot. I won't be missing these maddening calls next season. Final score, White 3 - Skids 0.

There was a lot of good trapping and ball distribution by our team in this game. Everyone seems to be making a concerted effort to gain control of the ball and then look for a good place to distribute it. Such effort will surely be rewarded eventually. Great play by all who were there and let's keep a good thought for the next game!

No comments: