Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Last Nigerian Post and Scotland

I have not heard from the Nigerians in 10 days. I think they have finally realized that they were dialing incorrectly.

A friend of mine correctly pointed out that just because English is the official language of Nigeria, it doesn't mean that we can understand the dialect they speak. It may sound just as foreign as the language they speak in Scotland!

If you have never been to Scotland, it is a hoot to talk to the people there. I went there on a business trip in January 2004 to meet with some folks at one of the sister companies of the company I currently work for. At the meeting were folks from the US, Denmark, England, Scotland, and Wales. It was easier to understand the Danish guy's English compared to that of the Scottish! I was introduced to the term "Glascow kiss" while enjoying a frosty beverage one night. One of our colleagues described it as:
When aye grab ye by de eers and ram my forehead troo yer nose!

Another highlight of the trip was obtaining a map of the UK which listed each region by the derogatory terms that the other regions refer to them as. Classic!

No comments: