Friday, May 06, 2005

Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener

I have purchased a new lawn-mower blade sharpener this week. Not that this is an earth shattering event for me or for the lawn mower, but it did come with a fairly lame story.

I decided to purchase this tool after perusing several different models on the internet. I personally went with the EZ grip, which seems easy to use, requires no power equipment, and should not result in my losing any digits.

Since I work in an office, I decided to have the item shipped to my work address. Like most other times before, I figured it was better to send it to work, than risk having the mail carrier or UPS delivery person decide whether or not to leave it next to my front door.

At my office, the shipping manager likes to be notified ahead of time when you are going to receive a personal shipment. Our office receives very few shipments, but personal ones do not have to be logged, so I guess it saves him time. Anyway, I go to tell him about it and after describing the shipment in detail, he requests an e-mail with all of this restated. I decide to send the following:
Hi John,

I ordered a Lawn mower blade sharpener from Country Home Products for delivery to this office. It should get here within a week or so. It is a small item that is about the size of a screwdriver.

Thanks,
Doug
Unfortunately, that day my e-mail program had lost the ability to use auto-complete for names in the "To:" field of e-mails. Rather than look up the shipping manager's address, i chose to reply to an earler e-mail he sent. The e-mail he had sent had been to an internal group that includes, my boss, all the customer service reps, the marketing department, and the company CEO.

Great. Now everyone gets to know that a lawn-mower blade sharpener is arriving soon with my name on it. Not that anyone really cares, it just sucks to have something that mundane that no one really has to know about broadcast to such a wide audience. I have seen worse such as replies meant for an individual that contain somewhat personal content that end up going to EVERYONE in the company. I just prefer to be the one that gets to laugh at those people instead of having to wallow in their cesspool.

Anyway, the sharpener arrived yesterday and I fought the urge to send a message to everyone to let them know it made it here safely.

Coming Attractions: Maiden Voyage of the Sharpener!

No comments: